Are you passionate about science? Do you like to communicate and storytelling? Do you think you can explain a scientific concept to a general audience in 3 minutes?
Yes, yes, yes? You are not sure but this idea makes you yearn and you urge to try? Then... the FameLab2018 is definitely for you!
FameLab is one of the biggest science communication competitions in the world. This contest is primarily designed to engage and entertain. Each person has 3 minutes to show that can deliver a scientific message without using audiovisual materials to a non-scientific audience in an engaging way.
For the 9th edition of the FameLab in Portugal, NOVA Medical School partnered up with Pavilhão do Conhecimento and is organizing the NMS FameLab “qualifiers”.
Get to know NMS Famelab through these Q&A:
NMS is organizing a local qualifier of FameLab with Pavilhão do Conhecimento.
Candidates have 3 minutes to present a scientific theme to a lay audience without any audiovisual support.
. Who can participate?
Candidates should have more than 18 years old, live in Portugal, work or study in science and/or technology and speak Portuguese and English fluently. This contest is not destined to communication or arts professionals.
. When and How?
1. Video selection [until February 9, online] Candidates send their communication in video format for selection through FameLab website. Selects 10-25 candidates for the Qualifiers.
Juri: Maria S. Correia (NMS), Paula Macedo (CEDOC-NMS), Paulo Pereira (CEDOC-NMS), &Ciência Viva
2. NMS-Pavilhão do Conhecimento Qualifier [February 24 @ NMS] The selected candidates will participate in person in the NMS-Pavilhão de Conhecimento Qualifier and 2-4 candidates will be selected for the semi-finals.
Juri: César Mendes (CEDOC-NMS), Maria S. Correia (NMS), Ana Noronha (Ciência Viva), Jornalista
3. National Semi-final [18 March @ Pavilhão do Conhecimento] Candidates from all different Regional Qualifiers present their communication to a juri and audience and 10-15 final candidates are chosen.
4. Masterclass [April 7-8 @ Pavilhão do Conhecimento] The final pool of 10-15 candidates participate in an intensive course at Pavilhão do Conhecimento with a known expert of science communication.
5. National Final [to be defined] Live presentations. The national winner will represent Portugal in the International Final.
6. International Final [June 5-10, UK] Cheltenham Science Festival, Reino Unido
. I still have questions, can I speak to anyone?
Yes, via e-mail (email@example.com) or call (26060 or 20453).
. Who is the local organizing committee?
NOVA Medical School|Faculdade de Ciências Médicas - GACIM (Ana Barros, Maria S. Correia, Rosário Pinheiro) and Principal Investigators from CEDOC (César Mendes, Paula Macedo, Paulo Pereira).
Pavilhão de Conhecimento - Centro de Ciência Viva.
For more information and complete normatives visit the FameLab website.
FameLab was set up in 2005 by Cheltenham Science Festival to find and nurture scientists that enjoyed communicating with public audiences.
Since 2007 FameLab has gone global in a strong partnership with the British Council. FameLab International has now arrived in over 30 countries across Europe, Asia, and Africa and every year gives hundreds of scientists the chance to get involved with science communication.
In Portugal, since 2010, FameLab is organised by Ciência Viva - Agência Nacional para a Cultura Cientifica e Tecnológica and British Council, in partnership with Universities and Ciência Viva local centres.
Take part in FameLab 2018. Submit your video online until February 9. We are waiting for you.