To study the prevalence of psychiatric disorders in general and specific populations, determine the degree of disability associated with those disorders, study their natural history, and identify possible factors that may be associated with that history. We are also interested in studying the use of health services by the people who suffer from psychiatric disorders.
The main goals of the group are to continue our work in the development of epidemiological and services research in the area of mental health and to strengthen our activities in the study of the interaction of psychiatric disorders and somatic disorders. We will work together with the other groups to strengthen our methodological capacity in epidemiology and we will collaborate with them in studies involving a psychiatric component, namely in the “EpiReumaPt” Project and the “ENVIRH” Study. The strategy to strengthen our capacity in epidemiological research includes the integration in the group of new researchers with expertise in specific aspects of epidemiology and the development of training activities in this area for PhD students and junior researchers of the group.
In 2011 -2012 we will complete the analysis of the data of the national psychiatric survey, start the publication of the national results and continue collaborating in the publication of the international results. We will also complete the genetic component of the study. Our plan is to cross the mental disorders diagnosis with genetic factors and social factors to investigate the influence of these different factors in the aetiology and evolution of the disorders. We expect to complete the tasks included in the Work Package 2 (Dissemination of the results) of the study “The EU Contribution to the World Mental Health (WMH) Surveys Initiative” and to collaborate with our international partners in the publications on the burden of mental disorders and gender and mental disorders in Europe.
We also expect to complete data analysis and present the first results of the study “Development of a European Measure of Best Practice for People with Long Term Mental Illness in Institutional Care (DEMoB.inc) and disseminate the toolkit Quirck developed by this study. We submitted two proposals to continue the work developed in the national survey and the DEMOB.inc study. If these proposals are accepted we will develop a new epidemiological study to investigate the impact of the economic crisis on the prevalence of mental disorders in the population as well as a study to investigate the effectiveness of an intervention to improve mental health care for people with severe mental disorders.
Regarding the interaction between psychiatric disorders and somatic disorders and treatments, we expect to complete the study on depression, anxiety and chemotherapy in patients with cancer recently initiated, as well as to investigate the interaction of depression and rheumatic diseases in the context of the “EpiReumaPt” Project. We plan to strengthen our participation in the activities of the World Mental Health Survey Initiative network, namely the publication of papers on the international results of the study and the development of new studies (a proposal on depression in primary care was recently submitted to the NIMH).
We also will continue our collaboration with the European network that is developing the project on the burden of mental disorders in Europe funded by SANCO and will participate in a proposal on the treatment of disorders related with alcohol abuse. Finally, one of us (JMCA) will continue participating in the ROAMER Project, and European project aiming at the development of a road map for mental health research in Europe.
National psychiatric survey: Study of prevalence of mental disorders, risk factors, social and economic burden, and utilization of services.The field work of the survey was completed in 2009. This included the training of a large team with more than 150 interviewers, the creation of a representative sample of the Portuguese population, the completion of 3870 interviews, and the collection of DNA in a subsample of the population.
The EU Contribution to the World Mental Health (WMH) SurveysInitiative: It will allow to study three different aspects of mental health problems in Europe (the burden of mental disorders, the gender perspective of mental disorders, inequalities and mental disorders), based on data from 10 countries.
Factors associated to depression, anxiety and quality of life in the course of chemotherapy: To study the prevence of depression and anxiety ans assess quality of life of patients in chemotherapy.
- Ruscio AM, Hallion LS, Lim CC, Aguilar-Gaxiola S, Al-Hamzawi A, Alonso J, Andrade LH, Borges G, Bromet EJ, Bunting B, Caldas de Almeida JM, Demyttenaere K, Florescu S, de Girolamo G, Gureje O, Haro JM, He Y, Hinkov H, Hu C, de Jonge P, Karam EG, Lee S, Lepine JP, Levinson D, Mneimneh Z, Navarro-Mateu F, Posada-Villa J, Slade T, Stein DJ, Torres Y, Uda H, Wojtyniak B, Kessler RC, Chatterji S, Scott KM (2017) Cross-sectional Comparison of the Epidemiology of DSM-5 Generalized Anxiety Disorder Across the Globe. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017 Mar 15. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2017.0056.
- Cardoso G, Xavier M, Vilagut G, Petukhova M, Alonso J, Kessler RC, Caldas-de-Almeida JM. (2017) Days out of role due to common physical and mental conditions in Portugal: results from the WHO World Mental Health Survey. BJPsych Open. 2017 Feb 7;3(1):15-21. doi: 10.1192/bjpo.bp.115.002402. eCollection 2017.
- Frasquilho D, de Matos MG, Marques A, Gaspar T, Caldas-de-Almeida JM. (2017) Factors affecting the well-being of adolescents living with unemployed parents in times of economic recession: findings from the Portuguese HBSC study. Public Health. 2017 Feb;143:17-24. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2016.10.003. Epub 2016 Nov 24.
- Kovess-Masfety V, Evans-Lacko S, Williams D, Andrade LH, Benjet C5, Ten Have M, Wardenaar K, Karam EG, Bruffaerts R, Abdumalik J, Haro Abad JM, Florescu S, Wu B, De Jonge P, Altwaijri Y, Hinkov H, Kawakami N, Caldas-de-Almeida JM, Bromet E, de Girolamo G, Posada-Villa J, Al-Hamzawi A, Huang Y, Hu C, Viana MC, Fayyad J, Medina-Mora ME, Demyttenaere K, Lepine JP, Murphy S, Xavier M, Takeshima T, Gureje O. (2016) The role of religious advisors in mental health care in the World Mental Health surveys.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2016 Nov 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- de Jonge P, Roest AM, Lim CC, Florescu SE, Bromet EJ, Stein DJ, Harris M, Nakov V, Caldas-de-Almeida JM, Levinson D, Al-Hamzawi AO, Haro JM, Viana MC, Borges G, O'Neill S, de Girolamo G, Demyttenaere K1 Gureje O, Iwata N, Lee S, Hu C, Karam A, Moskalewicz J23, Kovess-Masfety V, Navarro-Mateu F, Browne MO, Piazza M, Posada-Villa J, Torres Y, Ten Have ML, Kessler RC, Scott KM. (2016)
Cross-national epidemiology of panic disorder and panic attacks in the world mental health surveys. Depress Anxiety. 2016 Oct 24. doi: 10.1002/da.22572. [Epub ahead of print]
- Baptista H, Mendes JM, MacNab YC, Xavier M, Caldas-de-Almeida J. (2016) A Gaussian random field model for similarity-based smoothing in Bayesian disease mapping. Stat Methods Med Res. 2016 Aug;25(4):1166-84. doi: 10.1177/0962280216660407.
- Benjet C, Bromet E, Karam EG, Kessler RC, McLaughlin KA, Ruscio AM, Shahly V, Stein DJ, Petukhova M, Hill E, Alonso J, Atwoli L, Bunting B, Bruffaerts R, Caldas-de-Almeida JM, de Girolamo G, Florescu S, Gureje O, Huang Y, Lepine JP, Kawakami N, Kovess-Masfety V, Medina-Mora ME, Navarro-Mateu F, Piazza M, Posada-Villa J, Scott KM, Shalev A, Slade T, ten Have M, Torres Y, Viana MC, Zarkov Z, Koenen KC. (2016) The epidemiology of traumatic event exposure worldwide: results from the World Mental Health Survey Consortium.Psychol Med. 2016 Jan;46(2):327-43. doi: 10.1017/S0033291715001981. Epub 2015 Oct 29.
- Auerbach RP, Alonso J, Axinn WG, Cuijpers P, Ebert DD, Green JG, Hwang I, Kessler RC, Liu H, Mortier P, Nock MK, Pinder-Amaker S, Sampson NA, Aguilar-Gaxiola S, Al-Hamzawi A, Andrade LH, Benjet C, Caldas-de-Almeida JM, Demyttenaere K, Florescu S, de Girolamo G, Gureje O, Haro JM, Karam EG, Kiejna A, Kovess-Masfety V, Lee S, McGrath JJ, O'Neill S, Pennell BE, Scott K, Ten Have M, Torres Y, Zaslavsky AM, Zarkov Z, Bruffaerts R. (2016) Mental disorders among college students in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. Psychol Med. 2016 Aug 3:1-16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bramesfeld A, Amaddeo F, Caldas-de-Almeida J, Cardoso G, Depaigne-Loth A, Derenne R, Donisi V, Jørgensen M, Lindelius B, Lora A, Mainz J, Mulder CL, Szecsenyi J, Killaspy H. 2016. Monitoring mental healthcare on a system level: Country profiles and status from EU countries. Health Policy. 2016 May 6. pii: S0168-8510(16)30113-0. doi: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2016.04.019. [Epub ahead of print]
- Frasquilho D, de Matos MG, Marques A, Gaspar T, Caldas-de-Almeida JM (2016) Distress and unemployment: the related economic and noneconomic factors in a sample of unemployed adults. Int J Public Health. 2016 Mar 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cardoso G, Papoila A, Tomé G, Killaspy H, King M, Caldas-de-Almeida JM (2016) Living conditions and quality of care in residential units for people with long-term mental illness in Portugal - a cross-sectional study.BMC Psychiatry. 16(1):34. doi: 10.1186/s12888-016-0743-7.. 16(1):115. doi: 10.1186/s12889-016-2720-y.
- Frasquilho D, Matos MG, Salonna F, Guerreiro D, Storti CC, Gaspar T, Caldas-de-Almeida JM (2016) MMental health outcomes in times of economic recession: a systematic literature review.BMC Public Health. 16(1):115. doi: 10.1186/s12889-016-2720-y.
- Dos Santos PF, Wainberg ML, Caldas-de-Almeida JM, Saraceno B, Mari Jde J (2016) Overview of the mental health system in Mozambique: addressing the treatment gap with a task-shifting strategy in primary care. Int J Ment Health Syst. 10:1. doi: 10.1186/s13033-015-0032-8. eCollection 2016.
- Scott KM, Lim C, Al-Hamzawi A, Alonso J, Bruffaerts R, Caldas-de-Almeida JM, Florescu S, de Girolamo G, Hu C, de Jonge P, Kawakami N1, Medina-Mora ME, Moskalewicz J, Navarro-Mateu F, O'Neill S, Piazza M, Posada-Villa J, Torres Y, Kessler RC (2016) Association of Mental Disorders With Subsequent Chronic Physical Conditions: World Mental Health Surveys From 17 Countries. JAMA Psychiatry. 73(2):150-8. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.2688.
- Thornicroft G, Chatterji S, Evans-Lacko S, Gruber M, Sampson N, Aguilar-Gaxiola S, Al-Hamzawi A, Alonso J, Andrade L, Borges G, Bruffaerts R, Bunting B, Caldas de Almeida JM, Florescu S, de Girolamo G, Gureje O, Haro JM, He Y, Hinkov H, Karam E, Kawakami N, Lee S, Navarro-Mateu F, Piazza M, Posada-Villa J, Torres de Galvis Y, Kessler RC. (2016) Undertreatment of people with major depressive disorder in 21 countries. Br J Psychiatry. 2016 Dec 1. pii: bjp.bp.116.188078. [Epub ahead of print]
- Barbaglia G, Adroher ND, Vilagut G, Bruffaerts R, Bunting B, Caldas de Almeida JM, Florescu S, de Girolamo G, de Graaf R, Haro JM, Hinkov H, Kovess-Masfety V, Matschinger H, Alonso J. (2016) Health conditions and role limitation in three European Regions: a public-health perspective. Gac Sanit. 2016 Oct 17. pii: S0213-9111(16)30166-2. doi: 10.1016/j.gaceta.2016.07.008. [Epub ahead of print]. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2016 Jun 9. pii: 0020764016650469. [Epub ahead of print]
- McGrath JJ, Saha S, Al-Hamzawi AO, Alonso J, Andrade L, Borges G, Bromet EJ, Oakley Browne M, Bruffaerts R, Caldas de Almeida JM, Fayyad J, Florescu S, de Girolamo G, Gureje O, Hu C, de Jonge P, Kovess-Masfety V, Lepine JP, Lim CC, Navarro-Mateu F, Piazza M, Sampson N, Posada-Villa J, Kendler KS, Kessler RC. (2016) Age of Onset and Lifetime Projected Risk of Psychotic Experiences: Cross-National Data From the World Mental Health Survey. Schizophr Bull. 2016 Apr 2. pii: sbw011. [Epub ahead of print]
- McGrath JJ, Saha S, Al-Hamzawi A, Andrade L, Benjet C, Bromet EJ, Browne MO, Caldas de Almeida JM, Chiu WT, Demyttenaere K, Fayyad J, Florescu S, de Girolamo G, Gureje O, Haro JM, Ten Have M, Hu C, Kovess-Masfety V, Lim CC, Navarro-Mateu F, Sampson N, Posada-Villa J, Kendler KS, Kessler RC (2016) The Bidirectional Associations Between Psychotic Experiences and DSM-IV Mental Disorders. Am J Psychiatry. 2016 Mar 17:appiajp201615101293. [Epub ahead of print]
- Killaspy H, Cardoso G, White S, Wright C, Caldas de Almeida JM, Turton P, Taylor TL, Schützwohl M, Schuster M, Cervilla JA, Brangier P, Raboch J, Kalisova L, Onchev G, Alexiev S, Mezzina R, Ridente P, Wiersma D, Visser E, Kiejna A, Adamowski T, Ploumpidis D, Gonidakis F, King M (2016) Quality of care and its determinants in longer term mental health facilities across Europe; a cross-sectional analysis. BMC Psychiatry. 16(1):31. doi: 10.1186/s12888-016-0737-5.
- Frasquilho D, de Matos MG, Santos T, Gaspar T, Caldas de Almeida JM. (2016) Unemployment as a source of mental distress to individuals and their family: Unemployed parents' perceptions during the economic recession. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2016 Jun 9. pii: 0020764016650469. [Epub ahead of print]
- Benjet C, Bromet E, Karam EG, Kessler RC, McLaughlin KA, Ruscio AM, Shahly V, Stein DJ, Petukhova M, Hill E, Alonso J, Atwoli L, Bunting B1, Bruffaerts R, Caldas-de-Almeida JM, de Girolamo G, Florescu S, Gureje O, Huang Y, Lepine JP, Kawakami N, Kovess-Masfety V, Medina-Mora ME, Navarro-Mateu F, Piazza M, Posada-Villa J, Scott KM, Shalev A, Slade T, Ten Have M, Torres Y, Viana MC, Zarkov Z, Koenen KC (2015) The epidemiology of traumatic event exposure worldwide: results from the World Mental Health Survey Consortium. Psychol Med. 2015 Oct 29:1-17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Killaspy H, White S, Wright C, Taylor TL, Turton P, Schutzwohl M, Schuster M, Cervilla JA, Brangier P, Raboch J, Kalisová L, Onchev G, Alexiev S, Mezzina R, Ridente P, Wiersma D, Visser E, Kiejna A, Adamowski T, Ploumpidis D, Gonidakis F, Caldas-de-Almeida J, Cardoso G, King MB. The Development of the Quality Indicator for Rehabiliative Care (QuIRC): a European Measure of Best Practice for Facilities for People with Longer Term Mental Health Problems. BMC Psychiatry 2011,11:35;
- Cardoso G, Pacheco C, Caldas-de-Almeida J. Quality of care in longer term mental health institutions in Portugal. Eur Psychiatry 2011;26(suppl1): XX – ISI IF 0.462;
- Cardoso G, Graça J, Klut C, Xavier S, Neto A, Martins M, Ramos J, Ribeiro J, Vieira C. Frequent users of an acute psychiatric inpatient unit: a 5-year retrospective study. Eur Psychiatry 2011;26(suppl1):518 – ISI IF 0.462
- G Cardoso, C Pacheco, J Caldas de Almeida. Quality of care in longer term mental health institutions in Portugal. Psychiatrische Praxis 2011;38 - NA;
- Xavier S, Ferreira B, Borja-Santos N, Trancas B, Klut C, Graça J, Cardoso G. Somatoparaphrenia in a patient with schizophrenia. Eur Psychiatry 2011; 26(suppl1):1216 – ISI IF 0.462;
- C Wright, G Cardoso. Quality of care and its determinants in rehabilitative mental health care across Europe. Psychiatrische Praxis 2011;37 – NA;
- Cardoso G, Graça J, Klut C, Luengo A, Neto A, Martins M, Martins M, Ramos J, Ribeiro J, Trancas B, Vieira C, Xavier S. Psychological distress and gender in patients undergoing chemotherapy. J Psychosom Res 2011;70:580 – ISI 2.842;
- Martins M, Gracias MJ, Melo J, Neto A, Ramos J, Ribeiro J, Graça J, Klut C, Xavier S, Palma M, Vieira C, Cardoso G. A case of chronic mania in a patient with a double diagnosis of Bipolar I and Delusional Disorders. Internat Clin Psychopharmacol 2011; 26:31 – ISI IF 2.762;
- Klut C, Xavier S, Graça J, Cardoso G. Alucinações musicais e esquizofrenia: a propósito de um caso clínico. Psilogos 2011;9(2):60-67;
- Vieira C, Luís A, Miranda M, Tomé C, Maia T, Lourenço A, Lopes B, Cardoso G. Comorbilidade Psiquiátrica e Características Psicológicas numa Amostra de Doentes com Síndrome Takotsubo. Psilogos 2011;9(2):82-90
- Wang P, Aguilar-Gaxiola S, AlHamzawi, Alonso J, Andrade L, Angermeyer M, Borges G, Bromet E, Bruffaerts R, Bunting B, Caldas de Almeida JM, Florescu S, de Girolamo G, Graaf R, Gureje O, Haro JM, Hinkov H, Hu C, Karam EG, Kovess V, Lee S, Levinson D, Ono Y, Petukhova M, Posada-Villa J,Sagar R, Seedat S, Wells J, Kessler R. Treated and untreated prevalence of mental disorders: Results from the World Health Organization World Mental Health (WMH) Surveys. G Thornicroft & G. Szmukler, Kim T Mueser, and Robert E. Drake (Eds). Oxford Textbook of Community Psychiatry. Oxford Univ. Press. 2011;
- Graça Cardoso. Perturbações psicológicas na doença física: implicações para o tratamento e organização de serviços. In: Mind Faces, as diferentes faces da Saúde Mental. Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa 2011;
- JM Caldas de Almeida. Melhoria dos cuidados de saúde mental em Portugal: O que falta fazer? In: Mind Faces, as diferentes faces da Saúde Mental. Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa 2011.
Harvard Medical School
World Health Organization (WHO)