The prevalence and severity of allergic diseases has been increasing during the last years. The comprehension of the underlying immunological mechanisms is paramount in order to try to establish new laboratory methods for diagnosis, disease monitoring, prognosis and response to therapy in patients with these diseases. We aim to study immune cells, their phenotype and functional activities, and other immune mediators in allergic diseases and moreover their modifications during the natural history of these diseases or after medical interventions, namely drug therapy, immunotheraphy or tolerance induction protocols in allergy. We also have a keen interest in Atopy, namely in the identification of biomarkers and risk factors for atopic diseases.
Primary Immunodeficiencies (PID) are a heterogeneous group of hereditary diseases which present a deficiency in one or more components of the immune system, affecting both innate and adaptive responses. Although PID can evidence a wide spectra of clinical manifestations and laboratory findings, the most common manifestations are related with increased susceptibility to infections, which for the majority of patients start early in life.
PID patients can also have predisposition to autoimmune diseases and neoplasia. Considering the severe implications of PID in infants and adolescents, a precise diagnostic is critical for therapeutic purposes, in order to prevent the morbidity and mortality associated to these diseases. Our team is involved in both diagnosis and research projects in PID. The close relation between our group and the clinicians at the Primary Immunodeficiences Service of Hospital D. Estefânia, Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central (CHLC) challenges us on the development and implementation of new diagnostic strategies to better respond to their specific questions on the characterization and identification of these diseases.
Other immune pathologies, such as autoimmune diseases, are also in our field of interests, as they share parallel processes and mechanisms, and are deeply related to both allergic diseases and immunodeficiencies. We have recently started studying adult patients followed at the Unidade de Doenças Auto-imunes (Autoimmune Diseases Unit), Hospital Curry Cabral, CHLC, initially presenting with autoimmune disorders but subsequently also found to have PID. Once again, a precise diagnosis is essential for the subsequent management of these patients.
We have also a group of investigators in the area of reproductive immunology. The main focus of research is the immunology of reproduction (understanding the role of immune cells on fetal-maternal immunotolerance).
Current projects in Allergic diseases
- Evolution of the immune profile of atopic and healthy pregnant women: searching precocious biomarkers for atopy in the offspring of atopic women
- The role of purines as biological markers in pediatric asthma
- The immune profile of children allergic to cow's milk proteins under induced oral tolerance protocol
Current projects in Primary Immunodeficiencies
- Unravelling novel genetic and functional mechanisms of primary immunodeficiencies
Current projects in Translation Immunology
- The impact of the immune profile in pregnancy and childbirth (José de Mello Grant)
- Lymphocyte subpopulations in the diagnosis of primary Sjögren's syndrome (José de Mello Grant / Portuguese Rheumatology Society Grant)
- Lymphocyte subpopulations and cytokine expression in uveitis: diagnostic and therapeutic applicability (Portuguese Ophthalmology Society Grant)
- Candidemia biomarkers in septic shock patients (GILEAD go SHAPE GRANT)
- Retinopathy of prematurity: the impact of immune mechanisms
- Presbycusis, tinnitus and quality of life (José de Mello Grant)
- Diabetes mellitus type 1 - an auto-inflammatory disease: evaluation of the immune profile of patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus along disease establishment (Funded by Sanofi).
- Guedes MCE, Arroz MJ, Martins C, Angelo-Dias M, Proença RD, Borrego LM. Regulatory T cells and IL-17A levels in noninfectious uveitis. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2020 Mar 21. doi: 10.1007/s00417-020-04649-0. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32200408.
- Matias J, Gaspar A, Borrego LM, Piedade S, Pires G, Arede C, Sampaio G, Morais Almeida M. Tree Nuts Anaphylaxis in Preschool Age Children. Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020 Jan 8. doi: 10.23822/EurAnnACI.1764-1489.128. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 31912691.
- Haider HF, Ribeiro SF, Martins C, Ribeiro D, Trigueiros N, Szczepek AJ, Caria H, Hoare DJ, Paço J, Borrego LM. Tinnitus, hearing loss and inflammatory processes in an older Portuguese population. Int J Audiol. 2019 Dec 12:1-10. doi: 10.1080/14992027.2019.1698775. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 31829778.
- Patricio P, Paiva JA, Borrego LM. Immune Response in Bacterial and Candida Sepsis. Eur J Microbiol Immunol (Bp). 2019 Oct 4;9(4):105-113. doi: 10.1556/1886.2019.00011. PMID: 31934361; PMCID: PMC6945997.
- Blanco E, Pérez-Andrés M, Arriba-Méndez S, Serrano C, Criado I, Del Pino-Molina L, Silva S, Madruga I, Bakardjieva M, Martins C, Serra-Caetano A, Romero A, Contreras-Sanfeliciano T, Bonroy C, Sala F, Martín A, Bastida JM, Lorente F, Prieto C, Dávila I, Marcos M, Kalina T, Vlkova M, Chovancova Z, Cordeiro AI, Philippé J, Haerynck F, López-Granados E, Sousa AE, van der Burg M, van Dongen JJM, Orfao A; EuroFlow PID group. Defects in memory B-cell and plasma cell subsets expressing different immunoglobulin-subclasses in patients with CVID and immunoglobulin subclass deficiencies. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2019 Sep;144(3):809-824. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2019.02.017. Epub 2019 Feb 28. PMID: 30826363.
- Neves JF, Martins C, Cordeiro AI, Neves C, Plagnol V, Curtis J, Fabre M, Bibi S, Borrego LM, Moshous D, Nejentsev S, Gilmour K. Novel IL2RG Mutation Causes Leaky TLOWB+NK+ SCID With Nodular Regenerative Hyperplasia and Normal IL-15 STAT5 Phosphorylation. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2019 May;41(4):328-333. doi: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000001232. PMID: 29939941.
- Pereira MA, Alexandre-Pires G, Câmara M, Santos M, Martins C, Rodrigues A, Adriana J, Passero LFD, Pereira da Fonseca I, Santos-Gomes G. Canine neutrophils cooperate with macrophages in the early stages of Leishmania infantum in vitro infection. Parasite Immunol. 2019 Apr;41(4):e12617. doi: 10.1111/pim.12617. Epub 2019 Mar 12. PMID: 30735568.
- Sabino R, Veríssimo C, Viegas C, Viegas S, Brandão J, Alves-Correia M, Borrego LM, Clemons KV, Stevens DA, Richardson M. The role of occupational Aspergillus exposure in the development of diseases. Med Mycol. 2019 Apr 1;57(Supplement_2):S196-S205. doi: 10.1093/mmy/myy090. PMID: 30816970.
- Lima J, Cambridge G, Vilas-Boas A, Martins C, Borrego LM, Leandro M. Serum markers of B-cell activation in pregnancy during late gestation, delivery, and the postpartum period. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2019 Mar;81(3):e13090. doi: 10.1111/aji.13090. Epub 2019 Jan 30. PMID: 30624814; PMCID: PMC6590212.
- Alves-Correia M, Gaspar Â, Borrego LM, Azevedo J, Martins C, Morais-Almeida M. Successful oral desensitization in children with cow's milk anaphylaxis: Clinical and laboratory evaluation up to nine-years follow-up. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2019 Mar-Apr;47(2):133-140. doi: 10.1016/j.aller.2018.07.007. Epub 2018 Oct 25. PMID: 30482599.
- Neves JF, Doffinger R, Barcena-Morales G, Martins C, Papapietro O, Plagnol V, Curtis J, Martins M, Kumararatne D, Cordeiro AI, Neves C, Borrego LM, Katan M, Nejentsev S. Novel PLCG2 Mutation in a Patient With APLAID and Cutis Laxa. Front Immunol. 2018 Dec 14;9:2863. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.02863. PMID: 30619256; PMCID: PMC6302768.
- Pite H, Pimenta L, Henriques AC, Marques I, Camarinha C, Lourenco AV, Almeida I, Borrego LM, Morais-Almeida M. Lower airway flow influences peak nasal inspiratory flow in school-aged children. Rhinology. 2018 Sep 1;56(3):288-296. doi: 10.4193/Rhin17.229. PMID: 29509828.
- Mota I, Piedade S, Gaspar Â, Benito-Garcia F, Sampaio G, Borrego LM, Morais-Almeida M. Cow's milk oral immunotherapy in real life: 8-year long-term follow-up study. Asia Pac Allergy. 2018 Jul 23;8(3):e28. doi: 10.5415/apallergy.2018.8.e28. PMID: 30079306; PMCID: PMC6073178.
- Mota I, Gaspar Â, Benito-Garcia F, Correia M, Arêde C, Piedade S, Sampaio G, Pires G, Santa-Marta C, Borrego LM, Morais-Almeida M. Anaphylaxis caused by lipid transfer proteins: an unpredictable clinical syndrome. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2018 Nov-Dec;46(6):565-570. doi: 10.1016/j.aller.2018.04.002. Epub 2018 Jul 5. PMID: 29983237.
- Barcelos F, Martins C, Papoila A, Geraldes C, Cardigos J, Nunes G, Lopes T, Alves N, Vaz-Patto J, Branco J, Borrego LM. Association between memory B-cells and clinical and immunological features of primary Sjögren's syndrome and Sicca patients. Rheumatol Int. 2018 Jun;38(6):1063-1073. doi: 10.1007/s00296-018-4018-0. Epub 2018 Apr 6. PMID: 29623391.
- Neves JF, Afonso I, Borrego LM, Martins C, Cordeiro AI, Neves C, Lacoste C, Badens C, Fabre A. Missense mutation of TTC7A mimicking tricho-hepato-enteric (SD/THE) syndrome in a patient with very-early onset inflammatory bowel disease. Eur J Med Genet. 2018 Apr;61(4):185-188. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmg.2017.11.014. Epub 2017 Nov 23. PMID: 29174094.
- Fitas AL, Martins C, Borrego LM, Lopes L, Jörns A, Lenzen S, Limbert C. Immune cell and cytokine patterns in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus undergoing a remission phase: A longitudinal study. Pediatr Diabetes. 2018 Aug;19(5):963-971. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12671. Epub 2018 Mar 27. PMID: 29527790.
- Mota I, Martins C, Borrego LM (2017) Regulatory B cells and Allergy: uncovering the link. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2017 Mar 27:0. doi: 10.18176/jiaci.0157. [Epub ahead of print] .
- Martins C, Lima J, Nunes G, Borrego LM. (2017) Regulatory T and B Cells in Asthmatic Women: Variations From Pregnancy to Postpartum. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2017;27(1):46-57. doi: 10.18176/jiaci.0086.
- Couto M, Silva D, Piedade S, Borrego L, Flokstra-de Blok B, Dunn Galvin A, Morais-Almeida M. 2016. Translation to Portuguese and cultural adaptation of Food Allergy Quality of Life Questionnaire - Parent Form (FAQLQ-PF). Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016 May;48(3):82-7.
- Rodrigues A, Claro M, Alexandre-Pires G, Santos-Mateus D, Martins C, Valério-Bolas A, Rafael-Fernandes M, Pereira MA, Pereira da Fonseca I, Tomás AM, Santos-Gomes G. (2016) Leishmania infantum antigens modulate memory cell subsets of liver resident T lymphocyte. Immunobiology. 2016 Sep 1. pii: S0171-2985(16)30356-4. doi: 10.1016/j.imbio.2016.08.009. [Epub ahead of print].
- Martins C, Lima J, Nunes G, Borrego LM. (2016) Pregnancy alters the circulating B cell compartment in atopic asthmatic women, and transitional B cells are positively associated with the development of allergy manifestations in their progeny. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2016 Dec;76(6):465-474. doi: 10.1111/aji.12595. Epub 2016 Oct 25.
- Lum S, Bountziouka V, Wade A, Hoo AF, Kirkby J, Moreno-Galdo A, de Mir I, Sardon-Prado O, Corcuera-Elosegui P, Mattes J, Borrego LM, Davies G, Stocks J. (2016) New reference ranges for interpreting forced expiratory manoeuvres in infants and implications for clinical interpretation: a multicentre collaboration. Thorax. 2016 Mar;71(3):276-83. doi: 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2015-207278. Epub 2015 Nov 2.
- Martins C, Lima J, Nunes G, Borrego LM. (2016) Regulatory T and B cells in asthmatic women: variations from pregnancy to postpartum. . J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2016 Jun 14. doi: 10.18176/jiaci.0086. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lima J, Martins C, Nunes G, Sousa MJ, Branco JC, Borrego LM. (2016) Impact of Labor on Peripheral Blood Maternal T-Cell Subsets and on Regulatory T and B Cells. Reprod Sci. 2016 Jun 13. pii: 1933719116653680. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lima J, Martins C, Leandro MJ, Nunes G, Sousa MJ, Branco JC, Borrego LM. (2016) Characterization of B cells in healthy pregnant women from late pregnancy to post-partum: a prospective observational study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016 Jun 6;16(1):139. doi: 10.1186/s12884-016-0927-7.
- Códices V, Martins C; Novo C; Pinho M, Sousa B, Lopes A, Borrego M, Matos O. (2013). Cell phenotypic change due to Cryptosporidium parvum infection in immunocompetent mice. Acta Parasitol, 58(1):70-9. doi: 10.2478/s11686-013-0113-2
- Simão I, Cordeiro A, Borrego LM, Martins C, Neves C, Farela Neves J. (2012). Monoclonal IgG Kappa Gammopathy previous to Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in an Infant with Severe Combined Immunodeficiency. Clin Immunol, 145:133-135. doi: 10.1016/j.clim.2012.08.011
- Borrego LM, Arroz M, Videira P, Guimarães H, Martins C, Marques G, Trindade H. (2009). Immunological profile and clinical risk factors for asthma in infants and young children with recurrent wheeze. Clin Exp Allergy, Aug;39(8):1160-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2222.2009.03253.x
- Mota I, Borrego LM. Allergic responses to fungi. In Viegas C, Pinheiro AC, Sabino R, Viegas S, Brandão J, Verissimo C, eds. Environmental Mycology in Public Health. Elsevier 2015.
- Managing Patients With Food Allergy In The Community. In Muraro A, et al. Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Guidelines. EACCI. 2014
• Hospital D. Estefânia – CHLC – Lisbon, Portugal
• Hospital CUF Descobertas – Lisbon, Portugal
• Hospital CUF Infante Santo – Lisbon, Portugal
• Instituto Português de Reumatologia – Lisbon, Portugal
• Unidade de Doenças Auto-imunes, Hospital Curry Cabral, CHLC – Lisbon, Portugal
• Hospital for Sick Children – London, UK.
• Department of Allergology – University of Hannover, Germany.
• Centre for Rheumatology Research, Department of Medicine, UCL – London, UK.
• Laboratoire CEDI, Hôpital Necker-Enfants Malades – Paris, France.
• Department of Medicine – University of Cambridge, UK.
• Hannover Medical School – Hannover, Germany.
• Center for Hematology and Regenerative Medicine, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet – Huddinge, Sweden
Motivated students (Undergraduate, Master and PhD) are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates, please send your CV, a letter explaining your interests and the name/contact information for 1-3 references to luis.borrego(at)nms.unl.pt.